Keep Candy Away from Pets This Halloween!

Halloween is the busiest time of year for pet poison helplines and emergency vet clinics. Pets frequently get into candy bags and crumpled costumes to access things that are simply not good for them. If you’d like to avoid any giant bills to your dog vet or cat vet in Cannon Falls, MN this year, here are five Halloween dangers to keep away from your pets:

  • Chocolate: Highly toxic to dogs and cats, chocolate results in 1,100 calls to pet poison hotlines every year. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is for your pet. It is often problematic because dogs, in particular, are drawn to the smell and taste of chocolate, which leads them to consume it. A 50-pound dog only needs to consume one ounce of chocolate to show symptoms. Keep all chocolate out of reach of animals, and call your vet immediately if you suspect your pet ate chocolate.
  • Hard candy: Chocolate is not the only dangerous candy for pets. Hard candies are high in sugar or fat, and that can lead to pancreatitis, which is the inflammation of the pancreas. It is very painful and potentially fatal. Since you will not see symptoms for two to four days after consumption, it is important to watch your pets for anything that seems off. If you see decreased appetite, diarrhea, lethargy, vomiting and abdominal pain, call your vet immediately. Pancreatitis may also accompany kidney failure and organ damage.
  • Raisins: Likely the least favorite item to find in a trick-or-treat bag, raisins don’t work well with your pet either. Raisins (as well as grapes) are very poisonous to dogs, and potentially cats as well. They are known to cause kidney failure, and that can happen even with one bite. Treat any consumptions of raisins and grapes as a poisoning case. Keep grapes and raisins out of reach of pets.
  • Wrappers: It isn’t just your treats that can wreak havoc on your pets—the wrappers are not much help either. When pets eat candy, they don’t remove the wrapper. Also, cats like to play with debris dropped by humans, and that can often include candy wrappers that are not disposed of properly. If consumed, wrappers can cause a deadly bowel obstruction that requires surgery to treat. Besides the usual appetite symptoms, also watch out for pets that strain to defecate. This shows cause for an immediate vet appointment.
  • Glow sticks: While not an edible for us, their rubbery texture makes these a favorite chewing toy for cats. Eventually, they will puncture the glow stick and consume the glowing liquid. This is usually not life threatening, but the liquid causes pain and irritation in the mouth, and cats will drool and foam. If not treated, they will develop mouth sores, which will interfere with eating.

If you require a dog vet or cat vet in Cannon Falls, MN, Cannon Veterinary Services Ltd. is here for you. Call us today if your small pet has an immediate pet issue or you wish to schedule preventative care.